Monday, March 22, 2010

The Feeling of Home

Lately I've been considering what I want my home to feel like upon entering.
I've walked into "homes" and immediately felt "Dont. Touch. Anything."
I've walked into homes and initially felt cold.
I've walked into homes and instantaneously knew I was out of my social class.
I've walked into homes and felt uncomfortable...borderline scared and/or borderline dirty.
I've walked into homes where people slept but they didn't live.
I've walked into homes that were ashamed of that fact that children also lived there.
in contrast
I've walked into homes and immediately knew I was welcome and allowed to sit.
I've walked into homes and felt flooded with warmth.
I've walked into homes where I was out of my social class but nobody cared.
I've walked into homes felt safe and clean (even if its messy).
I've walked into homes where life was happening and they were enjoying it.
I've walked into homes that foster play and learning amid the chaos.
I want my home to be one of these homes.
I want you to walk in my house and feel warmth, welcome, and safety.
I want you to feel as though you could kick your shoes into the corner and plop down on my couch.
I don't want you to worry about what your children do in my home.
I don't want you to worry about what your children touch in my home, its just stuff anyway.
I don't want you to be able to figure how much money my husband makes by my house itself or the decor inside.
I want you to walk in the kitchen and know you can help yourself to drink and food. If you can find it you can eat it at my house.
If you come over around dinner time, expect to be fed. I'm hungry, you're hungry, I'm already cooking, end of discussion.
I want you to feel you can say what you want and it'll stay within the walls.
I want laughter, lots and lots of laughter in my home.
I want you to find learning in my home.
I want peace in my home, but I don't necessarily feel that peace means silence (although there are days when that would be nice too).
I want you to feel like you could show up be welcome.
I want you to want to come to my home and I want you to feel comfort when you come.



2 comments:

  1. so true! I totally agree and want my house to be a home to everyone one day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Sounds exactly like what we were discussing the other day. May I have your permission to post on my blog? Your words are so much better than what I've been working on, but everything that I feel to. Your home is that already. I will make it a point though now to come around dinner time!

    ReplyDelete